Sunday, July 5, 2015

First Day at UPenn

Today is the day that we checked into the program. Of course I’m very anxious and all the worst case scenarios are crossing my mind, but I try my best to push it to the back of my mind in order to be positive. I had an extra couple hours of sleep today just to make sure I would be well rested. Once were downstairs, we walked a couple blocks over to sign in.

I was the first person in my room so I got to claim one of the beds in my room. All I did was make my bed before I met everyone else down by the quad. We walked over to lunch but the place John planned for us was closed. I was really disappointed because I was craving barbecue but we settle for a Mexican restaurant. I ordered a burrito that was way too big for me, and I had butterflies so I just wasn’t feeling food at the moment.

We made our way back to the quad and said our final goodbyes. I think that’s when it finally hit me that this was it. No more traveling and sleeping in hotels with our cohort. It’s sort of bittersweet, but mostly bitter.

I was mostly nervous about what my roommate would be like but I had nothing to worry about. My roommate, Lisa, is from China and heard about the program from the internet. She came to Philadelphia yesterday with friend. She plays the flute and travels a lot with her Orchestra. She is a very frequent traveler, and has been to Europe, Japan, and different states around the country. She’s very easy going and it’s not hard at all to have a conversation with her. I think I lucked out and I’m happy with who I ended up with so far.

After our dinner in the 1920 cafeteria, we all met in the quad and played some ice breaker games. I don’t think the ice breaker games were very efficient because I don’t remember most people’s names. The groups were too big so it was hard to remember so many names at once. My roommate and I sort of stuck together throughout the games. Most of the people in my RC group are all still kind of awkward but I guess that’s what happens when you meet people for the first time. I just can’t wait for the awkwardness to stop so everyone can be comfortable with each other.
Our laundry/blogging party

I met up with Jun, Justeen, Joanne, and Elexis to do some laundry and blog. We decided to make a pact and try to hang out with each other whenever we can. We are looking at the calendar provided and trying to do some of the events planned together.


Overall, I’m very excited for the new experience. I’m nervous for my class tomorrow but I guess that’s a problem for tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. You're such an old soul ;) Simple games just don't impress you. LOL

    ReplyDelete