Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Epilogue

Last year, I was not able to obtain a scholarship from the Ivy League Connection. This was my second time applying to the social justice program and this time, I was able to make it. These three weeks have been the best three weeks of my life. I never thought that I would be able to obtain so much information in three weeks. The course has changed how I look at society for the better and I can say that I am much more open minded than before. 

The reason why I decided to apply for the social justice is because I wanted to learn more about how society works and why there are so many issues in the world. I never thought that Social Justice could be such a broad topic. During the three weeks, we have talked about racism, LGBTQ, political issues around the world, issues at home, and much more. As controversial as these topics are, many are not well informed about the things that are happening in right now in the world we live in. It's almost like it's a taboo if we talk about these issues. This class made me realize that the root of all the problems start with us. If we do not change our mindset, how can society be a better place for people to live in? 


 The amount of diversity in this class is incredible. We had people from all over the world come over to Pennsylvania just to take this class. Everyone represented something different and I think that was what made this class so unique.  My only regret is that I wish I talked to my classmates more because I know that some of them were the wisest teenagers I have ever met. 

I know that I say this a lot but the amount of knowledge I gained these three weeks is unbelievable. Everyday we learn something new. We've had guest speakers come in and speak almost everyday of the three weeks and it was great to hear about what they had to say. Some of the issues the guest speakers and students were talking about I had no idea still existed; perhaps I didn't pay close enough attention to it so I became ignorant about it. I feel like I have become more socially aware of problems now and I want to use this profound knowledge towards something great. I feel so blessed to have this amazing opportunity and truly grateful. 

At the Eastern State Penitentiary
 Photo credits: Elexis Webster

No comments:

Post a Comment