Thursday, July 2, 2015

Emory Memories!!!!

I had a great sleep last night, as I was tired from the flight from Oakland to Houston that lasted 7 hours. With that being said it wasn't hard for me to wake up this morning at 5 a.m. but, it wouldn't have been hard to stay asleep either. The beds and pillows in my room were so soft and comfy I wish I could have slept another hour but I knew I had to be downstairs at 5:35 a.m. with everybody to catch the airport shuttle.


Our flight was at 7:50 a.m., we had to leave early in order to beat the rush. Which we did unlike in Oakland. Yet, again I didn't have to wait in the security check line because I had TSA Pre-check. This time four of us had it, Rudy,Joanne,Justeen and I. It didn't really matter because both the regular security line and the TSA were exceedingly short.




Buffalo Wild Wings!!!!!!!!!



 After, everyone had gone through the security lines it was only about 6:10 a.m. and we were all hungry. We walked around for about 10 minutes trying to decide what and where we wanted to eat.  We decided on Buffalo Wild Wings. I ordered the buffalo breakfast platter which consisted of bacon,eggs,a biscuit, potato wedges, and salsa. It was really good and filling (or maybe I was just hungry).





Next, we headed to gate 23 and waited in line for about 15 minutes then we boarded the plane. Like, last time I sat with Jun and Chiamaka but this time I got the window seat. The flight was expected to take 2 hours. It just so happened to take exactly how long it was expected to. While, we were on the plane I started my blog and played a few games on my tablet. I would have talked to people but nearly the entire plane was sleeping besides my cohort. The flight felt as if it took less than 2 hours, I think that was just because of the madness of yesterday’s flight. I did not have a problem with the speed of the flight at all I was actually quite happy.



Catching the Plane Train
After, we landed in the airport we hopped on the plane train. The plane train is a subway like train that transports you through the airport in a matter of minutes. While, we were on the train I almost fell over! The reason was because I was looking down at a picture I had just taken, so I wasn’t paying attention when the train started.  Fortunately, Jun and John were there to grab my hand just in time.



Then, we headed out to the shuttle bus area where we loaded all of our luggage and went to our hotel. The Holiday Inn Express was the hotel we stayed in and it was very nice. Shortly after, we got there we went over over to Emory university.





Our first stop was the admissions office where we met Scott Allen. He did a short presentation that lasted about an hour in which we learned all about the admissions an a little about the university itself. One of the things we learned was that Emory was a branch of Oxford. Oxford was founded in 1836 and Emory was founded in 1915. It is based on liberal arts and classic world study. When the admissions office receive applications they look for the 4 P's. The first and second are preparation which both entail classroom readiness,teacher recommendations, grades,coping skills ( the way one bounces back from not getting the grade they wanted), and critical thinking. The third and fourth are personality and potential which consist of personal writing ( shows personality), following of directions, community service and skills, and raw thinking about yourself and how you think. That was just a little bit of what we covered in the presentation.
The tour began 5 minutes after the presentation ended. Our tour guide was named Maddie Clifton, she is currently a student at Emory. She told us many things about the university and showed us a lot of the major areas of the campus . 
Maybe not the best picture but I got her.

One of the places she took us was the dorm rooms of freshman.Those were very small and nice.

After, the tour was over we decided to take a shuttle to a barbecue restaurant. We took a shuttle to Community BBQ it was delicious. We order meat combos so we could all try something different. The main dish I tried was the hot link sandwich. I did enjoy it, the pulled pork, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, the potato salad, and baked beans. All I can say is that I have nothing bad to say about the food or the service quality.
My delicious Hot link sandwich
In closing, I had a very fun filled day and I am so happy I had the chance to go and visit such a dynamic school.

No comments:

Post a Comment