Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Tests, Presentations, Pictures, and More Pictures

This is officially it. Today marks the first day of summer for me, and I couldn't be happier. Since I attend Middle College, my school follows the college schedule, and today was the last day of our finals week. It was a rather hectic day today, as I had to take two finals back to back, but what made it even crazier was the fact that it was for two of my college classes. The night before, I stayed up studying for these tests, but the sleepless nights I had to endure paid off. Once I took my tests, I felt confident and relieved as the feeling of summer grew stronger. I finished my last final at 1 PM, which was amazing, considering the fact that I usually end school at 5 PM. Once I arrived home, I was thrilled to relax in my bed and take a well-deserved nap. Finals week is always the most stressful time of the school year, but after all of my hard work, I am confident that I ended the semester on a good note. 

When I finally woke up from my glorious nap, I quickly changed into a more formal attire and headed straight to Lovonya DeJean Middle School, where the school board presentation was held. Once I arrived, I greeted familiar faces, and our Penn cohort continued to talk with each other until the presentation actually started. 

During this, I was able to hear about the issues concerning schools around the district, and it opened my eyes to my community. I didn't realize how many problems people had faced regarding schools until I had attended this presentation.

"Smile for the camera!"
When my cohort and I were seated, we were each given certificates from the ILC, which was a very touching in my eyes. Once it was finally time to present something for the ILC, there was a brief introduction, as well as a thank you to all of the sponsors and people that have supported and helped in making the ILC a possibility. I truly am grateful that I was given this opportunity to travel to the East coast and study at UPENN, and I couldn't be happier.

Each cohort had to stand in front of the members of the school board, and a representative would give a brief speech about what they're looking forward to most in the summer. When it was our cohort's turn to go up, we stood there while holding the UPENN banner, and we listened to our representative, Rudy, speak. It was interesting to hear all of the heartfelt speeches given by my fellow peers, and then it hit me. Since it was officially the first day of summer for me, flying to the East coast, which used to seem like it was in the distant future, was finally drawing near. It's still unbelievable to me.

UPENN cohort, and our chaperone, Mr. Hillyer

After all of the groups had presented, all of the ILC participants, as well as our parents, were led into the gym where we took dozens of pictures of everyone. It seemed like the pictures would never end, and my jaw eventually started getting tired after posing for so long, and I ended the night with even more pictures. Nonetheless, it was nice seeing all of the parents and students that came to the school board presentation, because it actually shows that people care about our community. As always, I look forward to the day I actually fly on that plane to Pennsylvania more and more each day. 

Representing Middle College High School 

No comments:

Post a Comment